Thursday, September 15, 2011

Can I drive a 10 yr old Volvo S70 into the deep hills of West Virginia during the dead of winter thru ice?

I wanna go see grandma this weekend with a friend. Wanna take my volvo, but the mountains are treacherous and its a long drive. Think I can make it? Or maybe rent an SUV in NYC. Hmmm.|||Take the Volvo,


make sure traction and winter mode is on.|||Does your Volvo have 4 wheel drive or snow tires? If not, I wouldn't really recommend it. It's possible though. I drive a 10 year old grand am that doesn't have 4 wheel drive or snow tires.. sometimes I can make it and sometimes I cant.|||My 98 S70 GLT does well in the snow and ice, up here in the state of Maine which is pretty wild this winter. I'd say you'd be less apt to flip a Volvo but then again 4WD would be the "best" decision considering the possibility of uphill climbs on ice. Responsible driving would get you there in a Ford Aspire on bicycle pedals. Adjust your choice based on your patience and timeline. Drive slowly!|||Make sure you try some short distance driving on snow with wheel chain on, to decide if you want to drive that Volvo to see grandma during winter





You are adviced to be well equiped when you want to drive on ice during winter|||If it is FWD or AWD, it certainly has the ability. However, if you're driving through a lot of ice, ANY car should be equipped with snow tires. The S70 performs well on ice as far as I've experienced. I had a 98 S70, FWD, and on the two days out of the year it is actually icy in Texas, it gave me little trouble with control. Just make sure you have the tires for it, and drive it in W. ;)|||The S70 does extremely well in snow and ice. As long as you have good tread depth on the tires, you should not have any problems. It is a front wheel drive car and has traction control plus you can select winter mode to keep the wheels from spinning when you start out on ice or in snow.|||Tires are much more important than 4WD. If you rent an SUV, chances are they will have all season tires, not snow tires. You are better off with your Volvo if you have good snow tires. Some recommended models are the Michelin X-Ice Xi2, Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60, Nokian Hakkapeliita R. Performance snow tires don't do as well on ice, they do better in plain cold weather with no ice and little snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment